Monday, December 9, 2013

Finding Balance

As Christmas approaches, I've stopped to wonder about how important material things are in my life. It's not hard to get caught up in the holiday consumerism that is thrown at us through every medium possible. Not a day goes by when I don't get at least five emails advertising sales and promotions; and I'm inundated with similar advertisements on TV, radio, and online.

Too often I fall for the heedless marketing (I can't help it when I'm presented with a great sale!). But Christmastime is especially dichotomous because not only is it the season of consumption; it is also the season of giving. This doesn't just apply to those who celebrate Christmas... winter is the time of many religious holidays that celebrate love, family and friends, and gratitude.

In this spirit, I've called my enjoyment of material goods into question. Is it wrong of me to like nice perfumes, pretty necklaces, and gorgeous shoes? When there are those in the world who have nothing– literally nothing–  how can I own so many nice things in good conscience?

Then I realized that guilting myself over my material possessions wouldn't do any good either. Completely avoiding anything that brings me enjoyment won't help others who are less fortunate. Instead, it is important to find balance in life. You must do things that make you happy– whether it be shoe shopping or getting a manicure– and do things for the benefit of others. You can't live entirely for yourself, but you can't live entirely for others, either. There has to be balance; and this is achieved through moderation.

So this Christmas, I plan to do things for my own enjoyment, but also to bring happiness to others.... to receive presents, and to give them.

:) Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!

My mom & I enjoying each others' company (and our dog Scoutie's company!) before we open presents Christmas morning (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment