Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Wine and Cheese Tasting

The other night, I had a mini wine tasting at J. Gilbert's with my good friend, Fatima. As a fellow foodie (albeit a much more experienced one) and wine lover, I asked Fatima to choose the wines for us. We ended up trying two whites and two reds, accompanied by a cheese and charcuterie board.

Our wines:
  1. J. Lohr 2011 Seven Oaks Cabernet (Paso Robles)
  2. Tierra Divina 2009 Malbec (Argentina)
  3. La Crema 2012 Chardonnay
  4. Kim Crawford 2012 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)




The flavors in wines are often compared to fruits. For example, a wine might be described as "the perfect combo of cherry, boysenberry, plum and chocolate flavors." (Taken from a Barefoot Merlot description). But having a fairly inexperienced palate, I always thought those comparisons were ridiculous. I mean, wine is made from grapes, why would it taste like cherries?!

However, when I tasted the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and swished it around my mouth, I was immediately hit with the taste of grapefruit. Fatima explained that New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs often are redolent of grapefruit, thanks to the unique soil (aka terroir) that the grapes are grown in. She also said that I may not have been drinking good quality wines, which would explain why I never tasted the fruit. Luckily for me, the Kim Crawford Chardonnay has a score of 91 from Wine Spectator.

It also helped that our wines were paired with a beautiful cheese and charcuterie board.

Our cheeses: (From Cato Corner Farm)
  1. Womanchengo (similar to a young Manchego)
  2. Vivace (like a combination of Gruyere and Italian Provolone)
  3. Dairyere (a firm washed rind cheese in the style of Gruyere or Comte)
Our charcuterie:
  1. Prosciutto di Parma
  2. Rosette de Lyon Salami
  3. Hot Coppa
Accoutrements:
  1. Cornichons
  2. Pickled onions
  3. Dijon mustard
  4. Grilled Bread
  5. Peppers

It was a great meal– full of delicious wine and scrumptious edibles. But more importantly, it was shared with a dear friend, allowing us to connect over our mutual love of food.


No comments:

Post a Comment